Original Source: Chili Pepper Madness (adapted)
- 6 ounces rehydrated chipotle pods
- 4 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 6 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tsp Jim Beam bourbon
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp de arbol or guajillo powder
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh minced garlic
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- Heat a large saucepan to medium heat and add bacon. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add onion and cook 3 more minutes, stirring often, until bacon is nice and crisp.
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute, or until garlic browns nicely.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Bring sauce to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes with an occasional stir. The sauce will slightly thicken.
- Serve! Can be served warm straight from the pan or at room temperature.